Friday

It's nearly a week away from home. The furthest I've been away from home so far. Brings back memories when my dad told me if I hold my chopstick as far end as possible meant the further I will be away from home. Funny enough, I tried to hold my chopstick the furthest I could handle because I wanted to be far away from home. Had I known that I would want to be abroad? 

Many question comes to mind about staying abroad. I chose to go for one year, I think I wouldn't mind going for 2 years. There is no right or wrong, in the end a decision has to be made. 

Thanks to technology and creation of social media, people view living or studying abroad as something of a glam,trend, fun, holiday. Not denying that any of these are not true. But there is so much more behind those pictures. What does it really feel like to live in a foreign country where you don't know your way around, the choices you make and the people you meet affects most things. 

If we don't put ourselves out there, remove the box that created the boundary around ourselves, how can we grow? If we are not lost, how would we find our way? I hope in this coming few months, I am able to handle this situation. To meet new people, to gain new experience, to grow into something better that what I was. 

Living in a foreign country isn't always easy, being Asian generally the Westerners would think that we hail all the way from China. They probably think we can't understand much English. To be looked down as the lower class race. It's quite frustrating to be in these kind of situations. Nothing serious has happened but just a train of thought. Sometimes I see some of them, the way they talk to us, all I want to do is ask them to shove it and tell them I'm from Malaysia and I can bloody understand them. =X

I heard bullying might happen next week. Especially from local students to foreign students. I hope everything will be okay and I want to meet new people. To break that boundary and grow from there! It's very important to do so! 

Till next time, :)


Comments

Ka Wah said…
Might be quite late for a reply, but I know how you feel being the person far from family and friends and it feels like you're all alone in a foreign land.

Sometimes when I speak to locals here they're surprised and even dare to praise me for my "good English", apparently assuming I'm pure Chinese guy from China. And when I told them I'm Malaysian, they thought I'm Chinese Malay lol.

But putting stereotypes aside, studying abroad is a good way to explore yourself in a period of time. It is a time to test and encourage yourself to be independent, to grow and mature, away from the comfort zone. It is also the time to learn more about handling life; juggling between studies, new friends, and house chores. It's stressful yet fun at the same time as you can learn more new stuff about yourself everyday.

Try not to ponder too much and enjoy all the moment you can there, digest things as it goes. You'll definitely get to meet new friends there and will have a great time until you don't feel like going home. haha. And remember not all guai lous look down on Asians, there are those friendly ones too! :D And make sure to go holiday!!
Unknown said…
hey! =)

Thanks for your advice. I agree with what you say and things are getting better now.

I especially agree when you said that this period of time is for us to explore ourselves.

=) it's good to hear something like this from other people. thanks! and good to hear from you! haha